Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Girly

I am not a girly girl.

As a teenager, I routinely got mistaken for a boy. Actually, that happened well into my twenties. I grew my hair and nails long so people would have visual cues, then I got fat and grew breasts, rendering all that a moot point anyways. I wear jeans and tank tops. I shop for shirts and shoes in the men's section out of necessity - I am an attractive girl, but not a little girl, and size 11 ladies' shoes are hard to come by. I do not spend huge amounts on clothing. I could care less about fashion. Motor oil does not wash out of $150 jeans any better than $40 ones. Being feminine just isn't practical.

T appears to be turning me into a girl. A girly girl.

I own makeup, for the three or four occasions a year I have to wear it. For some reason, I had the impulse to wear some a couple of nights ago. T had never seen me wearing makeup before. T was extremely vocal about how impressed he was. He said he does not generally like girls wearing makeup, and prefers the natural look (thankfully), but thought I looked phenomenal (huh?).

Likewise, I have a pair of super-comfy capri pants. I wear them when I am doing housework. T thought they were fantastic. Said so several times. Grabbed me and pulled me down on top of him on the couch to demonstrate how great he thought they looked. When we went out for dinner later that evening, I wore them out, with a pair of high-heeled sandals. T couldn't stop looking at my ass, and said so.

I went shopping yesterday. Now, shopping is not unheard of in my world; I am always happy to go to Home Hardware and pick up a few new tools. However, I went shopping for makeup and clothing. Pretty stuff. Capris. High heels. Mascara and lip gloss.

My fashionista sister is going to love this guy. Everyone else is going to wonder what the hell he's done to me. Including, possibly, me.

The things we do for love...

7 comments:

SWF42 said...

On behalf of girly girls everywhere, welcome to the club!!

:-D


So, what did you buy? New outfit? Shoes to match? When's the last time you had a pedicure? Don't forget, nails and toes must match.

See? Aren't you having fun??

*lmao*

jess said...

oohhh, yeah...fun...

I bought a pair of jeans with legs long enough to wear high heels in (35 inch inseam, $90), a pair of capris, nail polish, lip gloss, girly hair clips, mascara, etc. I can't paint my nails because of the work I do, but toenails now duly painted. Pedicure...pffft. Waste of cash. At least I shaved my legs...

Have the T-shirt said...

Yep, your membership card is in the mail :)

I have always had the ability to be either a girly girl or little Miss Casual. Little Miss Casual is much easier for sure. But guys sure appreciate a girly girl :)

SWF42 said...

Speedie, pedicures are our friend. Especially when they come with a foot massage.

But, you can do it yourself, too. All you need is some mint foot gel, a pumice stone and a nail brush. Your feet will thank you, really.

I'm not the Reese Witherspoon version of a girly girl (think: Legally Blonde), but there are some things I just refuse to do. Change my own oil. Fix a flat tire. Move heavy furniture. Leave the house without makeup, etc.

I'm so glad you're part of the group now! When can we have a slumber party and do each other's hair?? :-)

jess said...

Umm...do I get kicked out for changing my own oil? I can fix my alternator, blindfolded. I move heavy furniture. I like power tools. And woodworking. I'm better at construction than cooking. I haven't paid someone else to cut my hair in about a decade.

I can DO girly, if I feel like it, but the urge hits me so rarely that it's academic. T is sooo appreciative, though, I may get the urge a little more often...

...but I'll still change my own oil, and still don't see the point of pedicures...

Esmerelda said...

The great thing about being a girl is that you can be anything you want. When my 2nd son was born, I suddenly wanted pink things. And to dress pretty. Sometimes I slide to being just one of the guys. The power is to know you can do what you want WHENEVER you want. ;-D

SWF42 said...

Speedie, I think I'm going to have to put you on probation. *sigh*


And you were <...this...> close, too.


*lmao*