Monday, June 4, 2007

Parents

T has only ever introduced one girlfriend to his parents. It's a big, important step for him, and one that makes him very, very nervous. I told him quite awhile ago that I wasn't fussed about it one way or the other, that it could happen in its own time.

Then we decided to shack up.

T's parents are religious. Not just 'go to church once in awhile' religious, either. Really religious.

I told T that I'd rather meet his parents before I officially became "Devil Woman" by living in sin with their son.

Last night, I met the parents.



T's dad, G, shook my hand in both of his. T's mom looked like she was going to hug me, though I fended that one off. Apparently T having a real, actual girlfriend is a big deal. I was a little nervous, but managed to hold up my end of the conversation, and dinner was very tasty, which gave me something to focus on. I was very careful not to swear or take the Lord's name in vain. I didn't dig in to the food until after the prayer had been said. I managed not to embarass T too badly.

Actually, afterward, T said he thought they really liked me.

"Just wait till they meet my mom," I grumbled.


Sitting at home, later, deconstructing the evening, I mentioned to T that I am concerned about how his parents will react to the news that we are shacking up.

"They'll just have to get over it," T replied, "since you're going to be part of the family."

**melt**

3 comments:

Esmerelda said...

Woo hoo! It is good to be family.

Have the T-shirt said...

Awwwww! Scary, exciting stuff.

I met B's parents this weekend, I wanna marry his dad, he is SO cute (in an old man kinda way)

SWF42 said...

"Devil woman" :-D

I've always thought you were dangerous! It's all that changing your own oil stuff. :-)