Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Peaks and valleys

I am much more stable when I'm single.

A couple days ago, I was floating, realising I'd finally found a guy who was serious about getting serious.

Today, not so much.

T got a random day off work; due to a slowdown, there was nothing to do. We found out at 0730.

At 0815, I had already petitioned my boss for a half-day off.

At 0930, I was on the phone with T, hearing that he had finished the dishes, and was moving on to the vaccuuming.

At 1000, the boss agreed to the half-day.

At 1030, T and I were back on the phone, planning an evening together.

At 1130, I discovered an important meeting would be happening at 1300, and I couldn't miss it.

At 1430, I finally got out of the office, full of anticipation.

At 1445, we were both sitting on opposite ends of the couch, playing on our computers, at his request for some 'down time'.

At 1700 hours, I ran to the grocery store.

At 1930, I got up and put in a load of laundry. As I sat back down, I asked T if he would like to do something. He declined.

At 2030, T snuck off to bed.

I am sitting here in my livingroom, wondering why I wasted the holiday time to take part of a day off work. I was really eager to come home, but when I got here, he seemed utterly disinterested. I started out being fairly okay with that; he'd busted his butt cleaning house, and I could understand wanting to sit and relax for a bit. Once it started to drag on into hours of quality time with the computers, I started to get a bit pissy. I just don't get it: why plan an evening with me, convince me to take time off work, then ignore me when I get home? Now that he's gone to bed without even saying goodnight, I am seriously considering pulling out the fold-out couch...why sleep next to someone you'd rather kick?

I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow, but I sure hate being ignored.

...And he's going to be moving in at the end of the month?!?

5 comments:

briliantdonkey said...

Sounds like one of those pesky little "need to talk about it(TO EACH OTHER) type things" that tend to pop up from time to time. Somehow after seeing you type it up here, I am picturing HIM typing up his version to another anonymous group of people. He is probably interpretting what you were thinking(wrongly) while you are doing the same(probably wrongly as well). Bottom line: talk about it to each other or continue trying to read each others minds and talking about it to strangers. Not a hard choice to make(in theory at least), though actually communicating in practice is at times far from easy.

just my 2 cents

BD

jess said...

Problem is that it's a little touchier than that. Our communication styles differ enough that I REALLY have to be in control before I broach a touchy topic. He tends to shut down and get distant when there's a problem, which I don't understand at all.

We did talk about it, this morning, and some of it is resolved, but that difference in communication styles scares the hell outta me...

Have the T-shirt said...

"why sleep next to someone you'd rather kick?"

Indeed.

Wish I could help you with this one, but I got problems of my own I don't know wtf to do about.

SWF42 said...

Was this a passive/aggressive way of showing that he was upset you didn't get home sooner?

Not that I'm being much help, but sometimes knowing why something happens helps to figure out what to do about it.

Good luck!

Esmerelda said...

...oh, thanks for reminding me that I'm happy to be alone...(riiiiggggghhht)

Hope ya'll work it out. I think BD has a point.