Thursday, January 18, 2007

Where Not To Date #1 & 2

Where Not To Date #1

Bookstores
If you want to show off how intelligent and cultured you are, go to an opera. Bookstores are so 'in' that they don't prove anything, unless it's a used bookstore, which only proves you're a cheap bastard. Unless, of course, you live in a rural area where people label THEMSELVES rednecks, in which case you earn Dating Brownie Points for a) being literate at all, and b) knowing where the bookstore even IS. Just leave your rifle in the truck, ok? Please?



Where Not To Date #2

The Bar
Hmmm...take a guy to a place full of under-dressed, extremely made-up teenagers with perkier boobs than yours, then try not to get offended when you catch him checking them out. Scream at the top of your lungs, and try to sound sweet and endearing while doing so. Get offended when he won't dance, then get kicked out of the bar for getting hammered and taking your shirt off while dancing alone on the speaker. Try to make sure your number is somewhere in the pile of other numbers he picked up while you were in the bathroom re-applying lipstick. Just my idea of a great time...save the bars for your girlfriends, gals...

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Not sure I would take someone to either of those places and I can agree about #2. The bar is what some folks use as a place to pick up dates. I think the last time I was in a bar I still had “teen” after my age. As for the book store, I guess that would depend on what is going on at the book store and what led you to go to the book store. I think that the book store could be a decent place to go for a date if there is a reading, or a topic you shared was related to something at the book store.

As for the used book store, again I think that’s all in perspective. A used book store can be a great place to go hang out and see what you find. Used book stores can have some interesting and “cultural” books. Sometimes you can find the book you are looking for in a used book store.

There’s nothing like grabbing an old leather bound book, a huge cup of mocha/coffee and sharing your thoughts about the book with someone who has the same interest as yourself. Especially if the coffee shop and book store are housed in the same store front built in an early 1900s warehouse style building with the smells of java beans, old wood and leather books in the air, a low volume of jazz playing, and softly lit pot lights laminating local artist’s works.

Anonymous said...

Well just for the record I would suggest the symphony instead of the opera - the opera is a love or love to hate it kind of thing. But then the symphony is a hard one unless you know what type of music said date might like.

Book stores are for books and interesting conversation - if you can't find somewhere more interesting than a book store to take someone for coffee - well then you probably are to nervous or to naive in thinking it will make you look smarter... Just my thoughts though.

But SW if you want to go to the opera, for the record I'm a fan. You will need to come here though (assuming we don't do it this time) and I'll take you to this - It is simply to die for on a full moon night!

http://www.arena.it/eng/arenaeng.urd/portal.show?c=94

Let me know and I'll see if I can get tickets (but Verona will be very very crowed and cold this time of year).