Sunday, March 18, 2007

Backbone Update.

Well, I was reading comments on a recent post, and I felt like I had more to say on the topic.

You know, I think the reaction I have when M contacts me is just...habit. An ingrained reaction. It just goes through my mind every time, but, on the other hand, it goes through my mind, then goes away.

Sure, a part of me would still like to be with him. No denying that. I can't figure out why I haven't shut that door entirely - usually when I break up with someone, or they break up with me, then it's over. Just done, over with, and time to move on.

Even with Mr Wonderful, who I didn't want to leave (but felt I had to), I told him he had a few months to get his act together, or I would move on. When the time passed with no action on his part, I went back to meet him the place we had shared for the requisite bitter-sweet goodbye sex on the floor of our empty bedroom before he handed in the keys, and that was that. Finis. Done. Never to be revisited.

M is...different. I've never really been in love with him. Oh, I love him, in a way, but I've never felt that sparkly, butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling. I know it could happen, like a word that's on the tip of your tongue, but it hasn't. It can't. He has such thick walls built up; they put me off, push me away, and I have never really been able to let my own guard down enough to just...feel.

We spoke for a few hours yesterday. He mostly respected the boundaries I have set, avoided talking about 'us', though he dropped a hint or two about having thought a lot about his commitment issues. I chalk that up to him not really wanting to let go, either. We didn't explore it. I have to admit, I am curious as hell, but if we have that talk, it will be when I am in a headspace to do so. He doesn't get to set the agenda anymore. I am fairly certain that the outcome of that conversation will be the usual conclusion that nothing has changed.

So we spoke for hours yesterday, and I feel...nothing, really. Not especially happy or sad, just kind of...indifferent. No real urge to go see him, though a part of me wants to go back and revisit the bits of the conversation that we avoided. Like I said, I'm curious, and right at the moment, he doesn't seem to affect me much, so the timing would be right. On the other hand, maybe it will hurt, feel manipulative, make me angry, and I can finally just say "enough".

Someday, I will pack up his housekey and all the baggage, mail it back to him, and just...walk away. Finally.

5 comments:

Have the T-shirt said...

I think I got all 'preachy' on your ass cause your M reminds me of my musician dude. IF he could ever work through his issues, he and I would be so good together. But he never will and so finally I had to just cut that cord, cause I didn't like being roped back in all the time.

The difference is that I DID love him, I still do, but my head is much smarter than it used to be about such things.

I understand your curiosity, I just realized that I was never gonna hear what I needed to hear, so I stopped listening altogether.

But it's still hard. :(

jess said...

funny thing, we have never lived together, or even in the same city, so it is rare for me to miss him on a day-to-day basis. him not being here is the same as when we were together. what i tend to miss is the sense of understanding, and some of the physical stuff.

i go through all the motions of moving on - dating others, not calling him, not seeing him, etcetera, but i am still not moved on. i have no idea why i am holding on, but one of these times, i will stop. i know that sometimes it's just a matter of waiting out your own stupidity...

probitionate said...

"...waiting out your own stupidity..."

I've spent most of this weekend trying to relate my version of that to curious blog-readers. So I hear ya.

(Even though I'm still waiting it out, seemingly; you know you're in trouble when you end up in tears on your birthday at the memory-dance of a woman you haven't seen in two and a half years...)

SWF42 said...

I've stayed out of commenting on both of these related blogs because, really, I don't feel like I'm in a position to give any advice or words of comfort in this particular situation. Pot, meet kettle.

I also know I don't listen to anyone but me, and if I really (really really) wanted to cut things off, I would. That I don't take that step is all the answer I need, for me personally. I'm getting something out of it, or I wouldn't be there. I accepted that a long time ago.

I think that's your answer, too. When you're ready, you'll know.

phishez said...

Its funny. You're describing a totally different situation, but at the same time you're describing a "friend" of mine and our relationship perfectly.

Even better than I could put it.