Monday, March 26, 2007

Courting

Mr UK remains incredibly disappointed that I won't let him fly me back over. We had a loooonnggg discussion about the nature of love, and the difference between loving someone and being in love with them. I mean, no-one doubts he and I love each other, deep down. But we're not in love. I told him that my biggest problem with the whole idea is that I am not even a little bit in love with him, and it feels cold-hearted to let him jet me around when there's no butterflies-in-stomach on either end.

I don't know if he realises it, but he's basically been courting me ever since that conversation.

I love it.

He sends me a zillion emails a day at work. Cute, short, 'just thinking of you' type notes.

He sent a little gift by mail, with a hand-written letter.

He calls every few nights, and we chat about nothing for hours.

We reminisce. We debate. We talk dirty. We laugh.

I worry that he is falling in love, a little bit. He's mentioned that he has reconsidered his statement that we would never work out as a couple (distance aside, of course). Honestly, after four or five sleep-deprived phone marathons, I am questioning that statement, myself. However, neither of us is prepared to move.

I worry that i might actually be falling a little bit myself.

He is threatening to come visit at the end of April. He can't really afford it right now, and doesn't really have the time off. I half-heartedly try to talk him out of it, but I'd love to see him again...

8 comments:

Vi said...

So those butterflies are hatching out of their cocoon again?

jess said...

Don't really know. I sure love the attention, but he and I are both a bit hard-nosed sometimes, and reality does tend to interfere. If he didn't live 7,000 km away, I would be more willing to entertain the notion...

SWF42 said...

awwwww.....that's so sweet! And I mean that sincerely, not in the "gag, that's so sweet" way. :-)

If there's anything I miss about the way I date, it's those 'courtship' rituals. But, it would be selfish and dishonest of me to accept that kind of attention when I can't return it.

I'll just enjoy yours by proxy. :-)

Have the T-shirt said...

All I have to say is NEVER underestimate the power of Love.

This is just so sweet :)

Eileen Dover said...

Yeah, let him come and see you.

If he has the money to fly you over there, he can fly over here.

jess said...

aah, but he'd have to take unpaid time to do it, i suspect, which costs more than just a flight...

Esmerelda said...

oh...do I know what you mean...see how this develops...keep us in the loop!

jess said...

oh, no worries, i will!