Thursday, March 1, 2007

Ancient History #4: "Nice Shoes"

It was the second-most expensive relationship I ever had.

When Mr Wonderful and I broke up, I started drinking. Quite a lot, actually. I had decided to go out and catch up on all the partying that I had missed while we were together. I also had a stretch where I did all the things that I couldn't before, the stuff I couldn't or wouldn't do when he was around.

I went out and bought CD's by bands he hated. I went waterskiing. I bought crazy clothing that he would disapprove of. I went to art galleries.

And I decided to have a one-night stand.

With a stranger. A hot stranger.


On the fateful Friday night, I didn't even dress up, though I wore makeup and heels with my jeans. I swore I was going to pick up the hottest guy in the bar.

I didn't have anyone picked out...just this idea that I was going to do something crazy. I was really shy. This was a challenge.

When I got to the bar, there wasn't much going on. I sipped my drink, not wanting to get too drunk; part of the challenge was to be at least half-assed sober when I did it. I looked around, but didn't see anyone I just had to have.

Then he walked in. Tall, well over six feet. Broad shoulders. Nice ass. Dark hair and smouldering eyes. Perfect.

I had seen him before, several months prior, when he had tried to pick up my sister by putting a cigarette out in her shirttails. He was a magician, and it was a cool trick. These things always happen to my sister - she's the pretty one. Of course, she had told him to fuck off, and I had never seen him since.

Until that night.

I ordered a second drink, screwing up my courage and plotting my attack. I watched him like a hawk (or a good stalker-in-training); he was with a couple of friends, and they didn't seem to be drinking much. They all sat in a group, except when they were dancing. They didn't always dance with partners, but would spread out on the dance floor and pull crazy moves. Eventually, one friend went to the bathroom, and the Magician and the remaining friend went up to dance. On opposite sides of the floor. Without partners.

I saw my opportunity.

Drink in hand, I sauntered across the dance floor, trying to look seductive. I got in close to him, and swayed in time with him and the music. On my tiptoes, I leaned in close, so my lips were just brushing his ear, and said:

"Nice shoes. Wanna fuck?"

His jaw dropped. He stopped dancing. He had that wide-eyed look of a deer just before it gets hit by an 18-wheeler.

His friend came over to ask if he was okay.

The Magician grinned and assured his friend that things were alright. He looked at me, and asked me to repeat myself.

"You heard me" I said.

I don't remember much of the rest of the night, except the end. We were parked in a field, making out in his car, and I realized I didn't have it in me to sleep with a total stranger. I told him so. He just kind of shrugged, and kissed me some more. Later, when he dropped me off, he gave me his number, written on the back of a cigarette package. He was a good sport. I called him the next day.

We spent the next six months taking random road trips, skinnydipping in the river, and staying up way past our bedtimes discussing Freud and philosophy. Oh, yeah, and the sex was great, once we got around to it. He told all his friends how we had met. Hell, he even told his father. It was a great time.

Until he lost his job, borrowed $2,000 to move closer to me, and rode off into the sunset, never to be seen again...

I'd never admit it out loud, but the fun was worth it.

And you know...he did have nice shoes.

25 comments:

WingWoman said...

now THAT is one great story!

nicely done.

You really must get out of Canada..I can't imagine that the chaps up there have any idea what to do with you.

jess said...

Well, most don't, but there are a few who've had some grrreat ideas...

The crap part is living in the town of 500...I think I'm gonna transfer to a city sometime this year and try my luck in a new place altogether...

jess said...

...Oh, and thanks, Meg.

probitionate said...

"You really do have to get out of Canada...I can't imagine that the chaps up there have any clue what to do with you."

LMAO!

Sometimes I can't believe some of the (admittedly well-meaning) comments people make online. They make me laugh...and then cry.

And we all regard ourselves as being soooooo unique. Funny.

Have the T-shirt said...

You are very brave! I don't think I could ever do that! But if I did, I doubt I'd be able to stop in the car.

How great that you continued in a relationship, how sucky he ended up taking advantage of you.

jess said...

Prob - I did spend the last year out of Canada, quite happliy, thank you...but the boys in London didn't really know what to do with me, either, lol.

T-shirt - I have discovered that although I am not at all brave, I can fake it effectively!

SWF42 said...

Speedie, thanks a lot. I'm wearing the coffee I was drinking when I read your pickup line. :-)

On the bright side, though, I get to go shopping at the campus bookstore for a new shirt.

I LOVE THAT LINE! I thought mine was funny, but I like yours better. I'm stealing it.

(I spent a weekend in Montreal in February one year. Froze my ass off. brrrrrrrrrrrr)

jess said...

SWF - You are welcome to the line. I only used it once, but it worked like a charm.

I have to ask...what was YOUR line?

Sorry about the shirt ;)

PS - Montreal cold? You should try Edmonton in January. In a blizzard. It's an experience...

probitionate said...

speed: My comment wasn't really addressing you.

With as much time as I spend online rummaging through blogs that are primarily concerning themselves with 'all things-relatonship', I'm struck by how one's environment is the first to be 'blamed' by observers. (I know full well how things don't slot together; I lived in the UK for the better part of a decade.)

Finding potential mates who 'get' you, being able to create vibrant, vital situations, not defining yourself by being coupled...yet craving communion, doing that juggling act...this is a common theme for all us 'single-bloggers with the facility to express our travails.' Maybe we should start a club. Wanna be co-founders of the Canadian branch...?

P.S. swf41: You're such a wuss. And I mean that in the most lovingly derisive way possible. : )

Vi said...

It's amazing what we'll say to somebody with a bit of dutch courage inside us! Might try that one liner tonight, speedie. I feel like being very naughty!

jess said...

VI - Dutch courage? More like whiskey and the urge to change everything about myself...

Prob - you're on. Never heard of a singles' support group...unless you count lavalife, lol...

probitionate said...

No, no, no... Lava isn't a 'singles support group'. It's a glorified Jewish grandmother/matchmaker-cum-pimp.

LMAO

I'm talking about something to help us get through all that!

Right; let's talk about the club tattoo, first...

: )

jess said...

Prob - It better have dragons in it...

you gonna set up the website

probitionate said...

Dragons? Hmm... 'Cute' ones? Or 'I'm gonna singe your arse!' ones?

And what's your suggestion as to where said dragon will be festooning our skin? (I've always been partial to hips...)

And can we please have a secret handshake? Or maybe something involving tongueplay? (I know, ever the incorrigible one...)

jess said...

Ummm...as long as it won't get you arrested if you do it in public, we can have whatever handshake you like...

Dragons...perferably something that wouldn't look at home on a great, big, biker-gang type...but then again, I don't exactly do 'cute'...

probitionate said...

"...but then again, I don't exactly do 'cute'..."

LMAO

OK. Now I'm intrigued.

So we're workin' on the tat...the handshake/inner cheek-sheen... We need a name. Surely to God with your wiley wit, you can come up with something approrpriate on this frosty Friday evening...? Oh, and a motto. Something suitably snappy...with a touch of romantic pathos...and a little heart-swell?

Tag, you're 'It'.

jess said...

Cute is for sissies. Girls who giggle instead of laughing out loud, and only wear expensive brand-name clothing. Not my style. At all.

Name...you're asking for an awful lot, here, Prob. Romantic pathos? You're stretching out of my element again. I'm better at sarcasm...

How about:

Number: One

or

I'd Rather Masturbate Than Waste My Life With You

(sorry, feeling a little bitter sitting home sick on a Friday...)

I dunno, Prob, I think YOU'RE the creative one...

probitionate said...

"...you're asking for an awful lot, here, Prob."

Hey, what can I tell you; I'm like God; She doesn't ask any more of us than She knows we can deliver.

I have faith in you. Even if your phlegmy responses make me want to hand you a Kleenex and some Neo-Citran.

But sure. I'll put my thinnin' cap on...and do the cause proud.

And I've always been partial to fight songs, too...

jess said...

God being a "She", she is probably a lot like me on hormonal days: likes to create havoc, then privately laugh her ass off at the idiots trying to cope...yeah, MY God(dess) has an evil sense of humor...

I actually think I LIKE the name Number: One. Has a ring to it...

Fight songs...ummm...yeah. Sometime I'll tell you the story of getting banned for life from a karaoke stage...

probitionate said...

OK.

Let's go with your name, 'Number: One'...but I reserve the right to come up with an asterisked comment on the letterhead.

The tattoo... A dragon...fierce...but blowing a raspberry. So, an Opus-like 'Phhhht!'

The secret handshake/greeting... I'll have to show you in-person. Maybe on your next trip to the UK, you can arrange a stopover in Taranna?

I've got some ideas for the fight song...a kindasorta riff on Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick' in the sense of a 'We don't need your smarmy come-ons...' (Naturally, we'll have to make this work for both women and men...maybe a call-and-response approach?)

And of course, we'll have to invoke some kind of 'non-attachment' clause, to prevent members from hooking-up, otherwise we're no better than POF, Lava, Match, Nerve, Penis 'n Pussy and all the rest. Sure anarchy would then rule. We're here to support each other...not engage in delicious shags, right?

Right...?

jess said...

I dunno Prob, if ppl hit it off, who are we to stop them? I don't know about you, but I am only single because I don't like my options, and am too stubborn to settle. It's not like vegetarianism, where there's a health or moral component...

probitionate said...

Fine.

Be sensible.

Yes, I'm like you, single not by 'choice'. (And lets not get into 'morals'. Ew!) So I guess we'll have to let the flirting and the double entendres and the e-snogs fall where they may.

Still, we have to have decormum don't we?!? Otherwise...CHAOS!!

LMAO

jess said...

Decorum...you've read my blog, right? Decorum is right up the list with 'romantic pathos' and subtlety...yeah, no comment...

SWF42 said...

Why do I keep hearing Groucho Marx ... "I don't want to be part of any club that would have me as a member" quotes?


:-)

(NOT a wuss, just very much a warm weather girl. The only cold weather I want to see is on the other side of the window. )

probitionate said...

"The only cold weather I want to see is on the other side of the window."

AKA, 'a wuss'.

: P

Still, as long as you've got some warm Canadian in ya, it doesn't really matter how cold you start out, right...?