Sunday, March 4, 2007

Bored...

...Or, "Why I Should Never Be Allowed To Get Bored"...


This cold is lingering on and on. My dog is going crazy because she hasn't had a walk in weeks. Going outside aggravates the cough to the point that I have to stop every few paces and lean on something while I hack up a lung. Not fun.

I am not normally quite as lazy as I have been lately. I have to admit, I am totally sick of lounging around the house surfing dating websites and blogs, although I did set up a date with a brand new victim for Thursday.

Anyhow, I was laying in bed a couple of nights ago, coughing, and had a brilliant idea for a website. No, I'm not telling...but when Google buys me out for 7 billion dollars, I'll buy the beer.

I called Mr UK and another friend who works in IT to see what they thought of the idea. They said it was great, so I asked them if they could help me set it up. They got a LOT less enthusiastic at that point. After each of them had spent a couple of hours explaining the costs and effort involved, I got a lot less enthusiastic, too.

However, being the stubborn broad I am, I asked what it would take for me to be able to do it myself. They started throwing out random strings of letters, like "html", "psp", "css", and basically the rest of the alphabet in creative combinations.

I have to admit, the last time I felt like I knew anything about computers was when I used to program cute little cards/messages for Mom#2 on our Commodore 64. I was nine.

So, this week's project is learning html. I am not very good at learning out of books, and need to actually do things and make mistakes in order to understand. So, I suspect that this blog will be undergoing some renovations in the near future...

Wish me luck...

11 comments:

probitionate said...

Ooh! I'm intrigued. What's the price of getting you to spill?

(And I'm curious; what are you doing about the cold? I've had a lot of experience lately with them, so I've become quite the expert. Feel free to reply privately...)

jess said...

Price: seven billion dollars

Cold: not much. Ginger tea and tylenol. I'm allergic to most of the other things you can medicate with, including most types of cough syrup. That's part of the problem.

probitionate said...

OK.

Here's a cheque...

: )

Is it a plain cold? Throat, sinus...?

SWF42 said...

Wishing you luck with the idea! Can I have tequila instead of beer, though?

The good stuff, though. With 7 billion dollars, don't be trying to give me a shot of cheap-ass tequila.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Slight correction... "psp" should be "PHP". :D

Other friend in IT

jess said...

Prob - it started out as just a cold. Now, it's a horribly sore throat, and a dry hacking cough that occasionally produces green guck. The doctor wanted to put me on antibiotics, but I'd rather wait until I know my body can't fight it off. I hate antibiotics.

SWF - nope, no cheap-ass anything at the celebration party. Promise. I'm just afraid it'll take about 30 years...hope you're patient, lol

Anon - see? I'm totally confused. This is gonna take awhile...

Vi said...

Good luck Speedy. I managed to create my own website, and I still really don't know how I did it, so i'm sure you'll be fine!

jess said...

VI - Thanks!

briliantdonkey said...

Interesting, I would say you and I are about dead even in the computer knowledge dept. I know ZILCH about html either. I have visions in my head about being good at it and changing this and that, but they are overridden by thoughts of how bad I will surely screw up.

BD

Have the T-shirt said...

OH! How exciting! I love seeing a woman with an idea and a plan. Best of luck.

ahem

NO tequila for me at the party please. I'd like to order amaretto, on the rocks, and lots of it!

jess said...

Tshirt - no worries, everyone is welcome to their poison of choice...

BD - really, the basic stuff is not difficult. My IT buddy sent me this site, and it's what I've been going on. I figure that if I can learn to change an alternator or crochet an afghan, I can learn to build a website. Just make sure to keep a backup copy, then you can screw it up all you like, lol...