Sunday, March 11, 2007

Spring Burnout

In the last two days, I have turned down four dates. Three from online strangers, one from a known commodity. I have absolutely no interest in meeting any men, new or otherwise, unless they are going to make it easy on me by, say, showing up at my house with a bottle of wine and a movie in hand. In fact, I'd prefer if they dropped off said bottle of wine and movie, and left.

I can tell spring is coming.

I am not thrilled about dating at the best of times, but view it as a necessary evil, unless I want to die alone in my tiny, filthy house, surrounded by my 63 cats and seven dogs, and the debris of a bitter, lonely life. However, I really lose interest in the whole game when I get that first whiff of nice weather.

I mean, who wants to spend their summer being rejected by dumb-ass rednecks when she could instead be travelling around the Western provinces, visiting friends and family, taking up kayaking, skydiving, and organic gardening? In the summer, I have more than enough ways to fill my time, and don't really feel the urge to complicate things by introducing new people. It's only in the dark, cold months that I really wish I had some company.

Right at the moment, I think I'd be quite content for Mr UK to schedule a visit around May, and me to fly back over there in the fall, and call it quits on the dating game for the season. With a scheduled week of good sex to bracket the beginning and end of my busy season, I could quit pissing around on the internet, chatting with random losers, and go outside to play.

Don't get me wrong, here. I'm not bitter or angry...in fact, I'm in a better mood today than I have been in weeks. I just don't feel like wasting my time when the sun is shining and the birds singing...in fact, I think I'll go join them right now...

11 comments:

probitionate said...

Wow. Talk about an entirely different perspective.

But whatever floats yer boat. : )

jess said...

What's your perspective, Prob?

probitionate said...

Oh, gosh. Um, starting with your first paragraph...

: (

This isn't my blog and I'm loath to try to 'explain' my circumstances because a) they're not the norm by any scale and b) it's gonna put me on the defensive something wicked. However, I suppose for a male who has wanted to be 'right and proper coupled' as much as he's wanted to attain creative fulfillment, the degree of (well-earned, I have to say) cynicism and resignedness here...and elsewhere...quite frankly stops me in my tracks every time.

I can't really comment on your circumstances because only you can appreciate them, understand them properly, and the same goes for other 'relationship' blogs I read. But I guess what I am consistently left with day-in, day-out is this:

"It's different for girls."

and

"This all makes me so unbelievably sad."

That's not an answer to your question, I know. But maybe this is one time when this writer simply can't put it into words.

jess said...

Lol, well, okay then. But I gotta admit to being awfully curious!

probitionate said...

OK. It's the difference between having slogged it out with a kajilliion uninspiring 'candidates', having survived less-than-fulfilling relationships, having been bruised by all and sundry and as a result, having an outlook that is seasoned and less inclined towards 'need and want' than towards 'I am not making this a priority in my life any more, I don't want to apply energies there right now'...between that and (apparently) never having had a requisite assortment of 'candidates', never having been bruised by the relationships I've had to any great extent and have an outlook towards being coupled that is, really, in simple terms, diametrically-opposed to yours; what you're currently disinclined to bleeding for, I'm ready to open the veins to obtain.

For me, reading constantly about how any degree of 'quest' for Love exacts such a toll on bloggers that they consider -even whimisically- taking 'breaks' from anything to with dating or relationships or men is difficult. I find that my own confidence in being coupled is affected, because my admittedly romantic faith in the idea of Love gets chipped away at and makes me wonder if I am totally and entirely out-of-step with the rest of the world, and even though I'm a big boy and have been around the block more than most (and surely in different ways), I am left...well, uninspired.

Yes, it's Monday, folks...

SWF42 said...

Girl, don't you know what you've done?!

You've tempted fate! You've said it out loud (or typed out loud) that you're not looking.

Careful -- this is when Mr. Wonderful always pops up and you fall head over heels and go tumbling into happily ever after.

[cue violins]

(Dang . . . I have got to quit reading trashy romance novels!)

:-)

Esmerelda said...

swf41, if I had a dollar for EVERY time I heard that little bit of joy. I'm with Wobble...having to get used to a whole 'nother human just opens up exposures all around. Lots of joys, but also the drama of 'did I say something to offend' period. GAWD. I do so hate kissing another person's ass some times. (can you tell this is one of those days?)

WOO HOO! SPRING!

Vi said...

Does this mean you are taking Mr UK's offer of flying you over? Have you finally succumbed?

jess said...

Prob - this is not to say I don't believe in love or romance, but more to say I'm sick of the process...

SWF - I've quit looking any number of times. The end result is always (cue drumroll) I stay single. Maybe I read the wrong books, I dunno.

Esme - yup, the first bits sure suck...

VI - nope. By fall, I ought to have some money together...

Eileen Dover said...

I've said I'm not looking for the longest time.

Still no Mr. Wonderful.

Enjoy your man-free summer!!!! (I know I will be.)

jess said...

Eileen - unless have totally misread your blog lately, you aren't exactly 'man-free'...