Thursday, February 8, 2007

Just Friends?

I have a lot of guy friends. Almost every job I've ever had has been in 'non-traditional', male-domiated type field. To be honest, I never really got the hang of relating to most women...I'm a little too blunt, and haven't got any time at all for coyness or head games. I have a few amazing girlfriends, but, for the most part, I prefer to hang out with 'the guys'.

This is not usually a problem.

I have a few guy friends who I wonder about, though.

G. and I started hanging out because I drove a beater car. It broke down about twice a month. G. is a backyard mechanic, and someone suggested I take my car to him. I did, but the whole time he was fixing stuff, I was hanging over his shoulder asking questions. Eventually, I asked him to teach me to do it myself. He didn't really believe me...in this bible-belt small town, women just don't DO that sort of thing. It took me awhile to convince him that I REALLY wouldn't DIE if I broke a fingernail. I think I finally won him over when I did, in fact break a fingernail, right down to the meat. Instead of dying, I cursed. A lot. Loudly. Creatively. And apparently better than most truckers.

G. and I spent a lot of time fixing that stupid car, and got to be great pals. His wife invited me over for Sunday dinners. I paid his son to do my yardwork. His daughter hung out at my place when she hit puberty and just couldn't STAND her parents. I've spent a ton of time with that family.

G. has decided that my current beater is not safe to take 150 km on cold, snowy highways to the airport when I fly to London tomorrow. He decided he will give me a ride. He won't even entertain the notion of me driving myself. In fact, he didn't even ask me if I wanted a ride - he called me up this afternoon and told me I'd better be packed and ready by ten o'clock.

G. moved awhile back, 100 km in the OTHER direction from the City.

I hadn't really noticed it, but looking back, G. has sneakily started taking care of me. Little things, but stuff that adds up to something little more than 'just pals'. Nothing improper, but enough to make me wonder.

I feel like I'm taking advantage of him, but I don't ask for this stuff.

I don't feel like there's even anything I can say to him about this. He hasn't done anything wrong, just that he's a bit too nice. I value his friendship more than I can say, and love his family to bits. I am certain he'd be hurt if I asked him not to help me out anymore.

If he ever tells me he loves me, though, I'll be forced to kick his ass...

2 comments:

SWF42 said...

You know, it could be worse than him having a crush on you. He could think of you as another daughter. Yikes.

I'd rather deal with the crush! :-)

jess said...

LOL