Saturday, February 24, 2007

What a waste...

...of two and a half perfectly good hours of my life that I'll never get back.

POF guy D. was a looker. He hadn't actually posted his picture online, so it was a pleasant suprise to see him when he walked in. Tall, dark, and stocky, with nice green eyes and full lips. My kinda guy. He had a really sexy, gravelly voice, too. I hadn't really been expecting sexy. That upped the expectations considerably.

We had spent an hour on instant messaging the night before, and it had been a great conversation. D. has a couple of degrees, and we were having a great intellectual debate. That's why I invited him for coffee in the first place. The faster I can get things out of cyber-sapce and into real life, the happier I am, as long as I think I can hold a decent conversation with the guy.

Unfortunately, IM sort of forces you to take turns speaking in a way that live conversation does not. D. spent almost the entire time talking. He asked about four questions, all of which were designed to give him a lead-in to his next topic. It was more of a soliloquy than a chat. Good thing he was nice to look at.

He might have been worth sleeping with, looking like that, but he was so self-centered and pompous that I can't imagine him being an attentive lover. Damn waste of a good-looking man.

On the bright side, D. paid the tab, so although it cost me time, it didn't cost me any money...I'd have been pretty bitter if I'd also had to pay...next time, I'll make sure to talk to them on the phone, first...

Actually, I HAVE talked to the next one on the phone already. It must be the "fresh meat" factor - I signed up for a POF account the day before yesterday, and I'm already e-mailing with five guys. Three of them are probably not going anywhere, just due to a lack of common interests.

POF guy K. managed to hold up his end of an hour-long phone conversation, but also managed to ask me a few things about myself, as well as keeping me in stitches for a fair chunk of the conversation. We're meeting for coffee tomorrow...wish me luck!

7 comments:

Eileen Dover said...

Oh. Wow.

You have no idea how much I relate to that. I have the issue with the doctor-dude.

I have a firm belief the higher the education someone has, the more narrow-minded they come. I dated a guy with a PhD in psychology... and I was lucky to get a word in.

Next!!!!

Have the T-shirt said...

Good luck! This one sounds promising :)

jess said...

Eileen - I don't know about that. Mr UK has two degrees, and he can manage a give-and-take conversation quite nicely. I've met plenty of pompous asses who barely completed highschool.

I still have a distinct preference for educated guys. It's like a screening tool...

T-shirt - thanks!

briliantdonkey said...

Pushing the whole 'there is no such thing as a dumb question' thing..... What is "pof"? I can't get passed "pissed off female" which would be a hell of a name for a dating site.

BD

Esmerelda said...

I think some education isn't bad, though I haven't dated anyone with more than one degree. Marines, however, happen to be some of the dumbest men I've ever met.

Semper Fi, dude.

Have FUN!

Vi said...

What's this POF site. Is it available in England? I think I need to start online dating. Even if it was two hours wasted, you got to look at some eye candy, and you learnt your lesson to speak on the phone first!

jess said...

POF = Plenty of Fish...I think it's worldwide. It's an online dating site like Lavalife.

Vi - online dating isn't all it's cracked up to be...no magic bullet, anyway...

BD - not a stupid question at all!